Wednesday, January 2, 2008

And Now We Begin

In the Beginning: For several years I have been encouraged to begin a blog so friends could see and believe I actually want to spend hours of my life knitting rather than on other mundane activities such as joining them for drinks or other fun stuff. I keep repeating "knitting is fun stuff," but no one listens. They want to "see" what is happening, they want me to "prove" myself, so this, more than any other reason, is why I am struggling to put words to virtual paper.

I am a process knitter. On a scale from 1-5, I'm a four. When I look back over the past year, I have completed a lot, but I knit on whatever floats my boat for that hour or that day, so some projects take months or years to complete. There is just tons in the pipeline. For example, this year I gave as gifts two pairs of socks that had been in one-sock status for at le
ast a year. On the other hand, I gave as gifts, two pair of socks that were started and completed in the same week.

In my defense, I believe (as all process knitters do) that it is good for your hands, mind and spirit to work with different fi
bers, needle sizes and stitches. I also love the adventure of trying new stitches, patterns, colorwork and yarn. I have NO discipline when it comes to projects. The very BEST part is the first two hours, or maybe the first two days, but you get the picture.

I am a medium "yarnie." Considering I've been actively knitting at leas
t 25 years, my walk-in closet of yarn, while probably qualifying as SABLE, isn't going to get me institutionalized.

On Needles Today:
The first project is a
slightly adapted Keepsake Shawl from Maie Landra's "Knits from a Painter's Pallette." It is unblocked at this stage and I was just beginning to add a lace border (not in the original pattern) when Christmas knitting became a priority and I had to put it aside.

The second project, it looks sort of bland against the blue spread is a Hanne Falkenberg kit I got as a Christmas present to myself. I know, I know....some excuse. It's the LaStrada jacket in blues and khaki and this is the right half -- the hole in the middle will be the armhole and the jacket is seamed up the back.

As always I have socks, and I am designing a hat, still on paper for a simple Fair Isle class at our local yarn store.



This is absolutely enough for today.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: